The Day Nursery Auxiliary Style Show and Luncheon-Diamond Jubilee
New location! The Ritz Charles in Carmel
Celebrating 75 years of service to the children of Day Nursery.
Dotty Reehling and Sandy McCuen are event co-chairs.
Please join us Friday, October 5, 2012 for the 24th Annual Day Nursery Auxiliary Style Show and Luncheon. Co-chairs Shirley Romine and B.J. Maley invite you and your friends to a “stylish” fall afternoon at The Oak Hill Mansion in Carmel. The theme is “Children’s Autumn Di-Vine.” We welcome “di-vine” vendors Secret Ingredient and Blue Eyes & Bare Feet, a children’s collection created from vintage, modern & recycled fabrics. Tickets are $60 and proceeds from the event go to the Day Nursery Association Tuition Assistance Fund. For ticket information call 317-636-9197 ext. 227. Tickets are on sale online now (a per ticket service charge will apply).
An Evening at the Lacy Berger Mansion
DAY NURSERY AUXILIARY MEMBERS AND THEIR GUESTS are invited to sip a glass of wine and partake of signature hors d’oeuvres by Keith Little while touring this beautiful home. Tickets are $50 each and proceeds benefit the Day Nursery Tuition Assistance Scholarship Program. Tickets can be purchased online.
BUILT IN 1933 by Howard J. Lacy, this 20,000-square foot sandstone English Country Manor sits on 7 acres (originally 25 acres with room for a stable and 17 horses). Combining a number of construction marvels innovative at its inception, the home was designed and constructed by Henry L. Simons, widely acclaimed local architect and builder, who is accredited as one of the catalysts for the original development of the North Meridian Street Historic District.
WAITING FOR OVER for the Howard Lacy mansion to go up for sale, David and Alice Berger purchased their dream home in March 2008. The Bergers hired various master craftsmen—tile, masonry, plasterers, carpenters, and roofers who worked seven days a week for more than a year—to restore the home to its original 1933 luxury.
They removed white carpeting in the entire house, revealing original oak wood plank floors with black walnut strips between each plank; repaired water damaged plaster (all the crown molding is handcrafted plaster); cleaned and polished all the marble; sanded and stained 7,000 square feet of hardwood; scraped, painted, and sealed 263 window frames; replaced failing copper on 15 valleys of the slate roof; rebuilt the Northeast porch roof; resurfaced the pool; added the limestone patio and steps; took apart/repaired the other patios; and created a beautiful cobblestone English driveway. An avid gardener, Alice has added all the flowers to the landscape which, over time, has integrated the old and new ways of life from the original design. The newest owners feel the preservation of theLacy-Berger Mansion has just begun!
Here are some fun facts about the house:
- Windows in each of the main floors include stained-glass motifs relating to the functions of the rooms. For example, the library features a scholar; the conservatory, flowers and birds; the dining room, a server; and the music room (originally a reception room), an old English meeting house.
- The library features original custom-milled walnut-paneled walls, arched bookshelves, Italian marble fireplace, hand-carved marble mantel, built-in shelving, and bronze light fixtures. The carving on the cabinet doors is called “linen fold.” Be sure to see the invitation—one of only 200—to King Edward VIIs coronation, a true antique treasure.
- The Conservatory has arched palladium leaded glass windows and a crystal chandelier with a bird motif. The Bergers hope to find pictures of the original fountain for restoration. Be sure to say hello to the Conservatory’s residents: two peach-faced love birds and a black-ringed neck South African dove in their own gilded cages.